the set list from the heartbreak hotel show, and pictures, and more
stuck in tampa because snow in boston. I AM NOT COMPLAINING.
first off!!!! watch for the USA tour that is JUST ABOUT to be announced….only 8 days in the continental US, plus a special
david byrne tribute show and a writing lecture in NYC….and as usual, those on the mailing list will get FIRST CRACK. (join here)
second off!!! the boston (ahem, SOMERVILLE) shows sold FAST!
night #2 (march 5) is sold out and night #1 (feb 26th) has literally a handful of tickets left: http://www.eventbrite.com/e/amanda-fucking-palmer-pwr-bttm-tickets-15565977257
i expect they’ll disappear by the end of today. go grab!!!
third off!!! we went to visit the fagins in sarasota (some of my favorite gaiman relatives EVER) and now my soul is healed.
if this couple does not inspire you to love, i do not know what or who can.
helen fagin, 97, warsaw ghetto survivor, political activist, holocaust scholar. still reads the new york times every day over coffee.
sidney fagin, 93, stone sculptor since retirement. leaned over to me during lunch and said
“i can’t hear what helen is saying to you, but it doesn’t matter, because we don’t have two souls, we have one soul.
so whatever she’s saying, i’m saying”.
fourth off, speaking of love:
the HEARTBREAK HOTEL show in tampa two nights ago was AMAZING…..
- NEIL + AMANDA sing makin whoopee (with ukulele! kahn/donaldson cover, from “an evening with neil gaiman and amanda palmer” http://amandapalmer.net/music/an-evening-with-neil-gaiman-and-amanda-palmer/)
- AMANDA plays “i want you, but i don’t need you” on piano (momus cover, from “an evening with neil gaiman and amanda palmer”….link above)
- NEIL discusses the shooting that just occurred in denmark http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/feb/14/copenhagen-cartoonist-charlie-hebdo-style-attack: reads “credo” (http://www.theguardian.com/books/booksblog/2015/jan/19/response-to-paris-terror-attack-chris-riddell-neil-gaiman-in-pictures)
- NEIL reads “feminine endings” (from Trigger Warning, neil’s new short story collection: http://www.indiebound.org/book/9780062330260)
- NEIL reads the “will you marry me” neil/amanda bit from “the art of asking” (my book: http://amandapalmer.net/theartofasking/)
- AMANDA plays “ampersand” on piano (from “who killed amanda palmer”: http://amandapalmer.net/music/who-killed-amanda-palmer-stream/)
- AMANDA reads “anthony was my best friend / dog sitting on a nail” story from “the art of asking” (link above)
- AMANDA plays “delilah” on piano (from the dresden doll’s “yes, virginia”: youtube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnnMad3c9y4)
- NEIL hints at publishing a poetry book, people squee, NEIL reads short poems “Post Mortem of Our Love”, “Huge Moments of Surprise that Leave You Wrecked”, (unpublished) and “The Day The Saucers Came” (published: http://booksjadore.com/2014/03/20/the-day-the-saucers-came-neil-gaiman/) …..then reads “down to a sunless sea” from Trigger Warning (link above)
- NEIL plays piano (!!!!) while AMANDA reads her own poem called “brokenheart stew” (from “an evening with….” link above)
- NEIL + AMANDA take questions from the audience about penises, beekeeping, love and heartbreak and read audience’s “worst valentine’s ever” stories (there was a box in the lobby)
- AMANDA plays ukulele and provides back-up vocals while NEIL sings “luckiest guy on the lower east side” cover by the magnetic fields: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCxd62yzoOs)
—-INTERMISSION, people rush out to get wine and buy beautiful poster by p. craig russell—–
- AMANDA reads two heartbreaking poems that were suggested and upvoted on facebook during the show, one by WH Auden and one by Sylvia Plath. NEIL warns audience members below balcony to beware of falling bodies during the Plath poem (https://www.facebook.com/amandapalmer/posts/10152820918098375)
- AMANDA plays “i used to say i love you” on piano (robyn hitchcock cover….original here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Wrf472kMLU)
- NEIL reads “october tale” from the “a calendar of tales” project: https://soundcloud.com/a-calendar-of-tales/october ….then reads two more unpublished poems: “It Must Be Love”, “The Long Run” …..then reads the “taking turns puking sushi/post-mortem on abortion/’can you show me for When You Ask for The Things’ section of “the art of asking”
- AMANDA plays “the bed song” on piano (from “theatre is evil”: http://shop.amandapalmer.net/collections/digital/products/theatre-is-evil)
- NEIL + AMANDA take more questions about beekeeping, penises, love, age gaps in relationships, and read more heartbreaking valentine’s stories….
6. AMANDA plays “coin-operated boy”, declaring it “the loneliest song she’s ever written) on piano (from the dresden dolls’ eponymous album: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAnyYTjjhJ0)
7. NEIL sings “I google you” with AMANDA on piano (words by neil gaiman, music by amanda, from “an evening with….” link above)
more pics by CA bridges! http://cabridges.com/2015/02/15/heartbreak-hotel-spending-valentines-day-with-neil-and-amanda/
A MASSIVE THANK YOU TO LLYOD, the tech director who decorated the stage LITERALLY with HIS OWN LIVING ROOM and childhood books! and to THE TAMPA THEATER who were so wonderful to work with, and to INKWOOD BOOKS for vending our books at the show!!!
the house music we chose, make your own heartbreaking playlist!!!
(if anyone WANTs to make this into a playlist on youtube/spotify, got for it, let me know in comments or on twitter so i can share the link):
papa was a rodeo – the magnetic fields (NEIL’S CHOICE)
do you love me? – nick cave (AMANDA’S CHOICE)
andrew in drag – the magnetic fields (NEIL)
ain’t no cure for love – leonard cohen (AMANDA)
unworthy of your love – steven sondheim (NEIL)
tainted love – soft cell (AMANDA)
you don’t even know me – al stewart (NEIL)
the organ donor’s march – kim boekbinder (AMANDA)
ever fallen in love – thea gilmore (NEIL)
heartbreaker – pat benatar (AMANDA)
good year for the roses – george jones (NEIL)
i don’t want to set the word on fire – the ink spots (AMANDA)
cry cry cry – johnny cash (NEIL)
do you take it in the ass? – the wet spots (AMANDA & NEIL)
another nail in my heart – squeeze (AMANDA)
it’s called a heart – depeche mode (AMANDA)
you little fool – elvis costello (NEIL)
erase me – ben folds (AMANDA)
shop vac – jonathan coulton (NEIL)
here comes the sun – steve harley & cockney rebel (NEIL, with AMANDA going “WHY?”, and NEIL going “we need something hopeful” and AMANDA shaking her head)
blue bayou – roy orbison (NEIL)
my best friend’s girl – the cars (AMANDA)
why don’t you love me like you used to do – elvis costello (NEIL, with AMANDA wishing we had time to download the red hot chili peppers version)
when u were mine – cyndi lauper (AMANDA, who would like to point out that this song was written by PRINCE)
still alive (feat sara quin) – jonathan coulton (NEIL)
all you need is love – the vienna boys choir (AMANDA, getting NEIL back for the other hopeful beatles song)
sea of heartbreak (feat bruce springsteen) – rosanne cash (NEIL)
walk away from love – yaz (or if you’re british, yazoo) (AMANDA)
heartaches by number (feat elvis costello) – roseanne cash (NEIL)
artificial heart – jonathan coulton (NEIL)
you broke my heart – lavender diamond (AMANDA)
AND for those WANTING, there were a few hundred posters left….we will put them for sale online within a few weeks, stay tuned.
then i went off to do a signing at inkwood yesterday.
THIS IS THE MOST AMAZING BOOKSTORE IN THE WORLD – THEY SENT A BOTTLE OF WHISKEY AND A BOTTLE OF RUM down the signing line of people waiting.
who does that? THEY DO. they are amazing.
here’s some pictures from the signing:
nomming st vincent: